There is a great discussion going on over at Political Realities. The article is all about how Obama is (purposefully?) destroying the US economy and position in the world. It is this article that inspired a recent posts here about Obama’s failures.
This got me thinking…
What SHOULD Obama be doing?
Well, it didn’t take long to come up with a short list of things that would improve the United States both in terms of the economy and our position as a global leader.
Ted from Country Thinker reminded me that squabbling about who should get the greater share of blame about the state of the Union is ineffective at best and counter productive at worst. We do indeed need all hands on deck.
A much more productive use of debate would be centered around the solutions.
So, how’s this for a start:
- Lower corporate taxes
- Lower capital gains taxes
- Lift/eliminate cap and tax regulations
- Open Atlantic sea board and ANWR to drilling
- Fast track drilling and oil exploration in the Gulf
- Eliminate Obamacare, instead open all state borders to health insurance competition
- Eliminate Dodd Frank and Sarbanes Oxley
- Approve/fast track Keystone
These 8 items alone – without even touching the entitlement programs – would trigger a massive expansion of our economy.
I’m guilty of defending against the blame game. Liberals are still – STILL – insisting that it’s Bush’s fault and there is nothing Obama can do in 4 years. I find myself getting sucked into debating that stupid point.
Now I think is the time to promote smaller government solutions to stand in contrast with Obama.